Mocha Camphouse, [#2]
October, 1938

The Mocha camp house, a board and batten building with a porch across the front, on the O'Connor Melon Creek Ranch. Two cots with mosquito nets are on the porch. An early panel truck serving as a chuck truck is parked on the side near a window with an open shutter.

Notes: The camphouse system was develoed after the turn of the century. Before that, the cowhands slept on the ground and around the wagons. Because of the new dipping laws, in 1922, the ranchers needed to have large dipping vats and camp areas were built up around these vats. All of the cattle on the ranches had to be run through the vats every fourteen days. A tremendous amount of time was spent in camp during the dipping days. Source: "Cryin' for Daylight"



Related Content

Mocha Camphouse, [#2]